4.12.2010

my adolescent dream has come true!

Ok, well, so much for my blogging hiatus. I couldn't resist posting about my night. You see, I've had a terrible couple of weeks. I've been so overwhelmed and stressed (refer to previous post), plus I've just had a lot of lemons thrown my way lately (insert funny Ron White reference here... I'm too tired to think of one myself right now). So today, Matt asked me if he can have 2 hours of my night for "a date." I mean is he kidding? It's TEST WEEK! I have 3 weeks of tests on my plate, and you want a freaking date night? He said he promised it would make my week better. So I said "sure." Test week schmest week, right? He would only tell me that he would pick me up at 6:00 and to have my camera charged. He wouldn't tell me anything else. I asked 40 questions at least, but he refused to answer them. He just told me that it would definitely cheer me up. I had no clue what this boy was up to. I told him that this better be good. Giving up half my night (I did not buy this "only 2 hours" thing) during test week was not the kind of life choice that I usually make.

So all day long I studied hard so that I wouldn't feel so guilty and panicky about just taking the night off... during test week. My Matthew showed up at my casa with a surprise behind his back. He pulls out a Mississippi Braves tshirt (a very cool, vintage-ish looking one, I might add) and an 8x10 photo of Javy Lopez. He says to me, "We're going to get Javy's autograph!"

oh. my. gah.


For those of you who did not grow up watching Braves games, Javy Lopez was the catcher for the greater part of my childhood. He was my favorite player. My dad used to take us to Braves games in the summer, and Katie and I were absolutely those kids holding their gloves through the fences begging for autographs. My old little-league softball glove is signed by many old players, but I was never lucky enough to see Javy up close and personal. I might add that he is beautiful. I always thought that it was pretty unfortunate that he was the catcher. Couldn't see his face enough. Dang mask.

ANYWAY... (I mean it's 10:45, and it's still test week, and I'm writing on my blog)... The M Braves is our minor league baseball team in Jackson, and they feed into the Atlanta Braves. So Javy came to promote, throw the first pitch, sign autographs for children (and grown women that loved him as adolescents). So Matt found out about it and got tickets for us to go. Definitely worth not getting an A on that ICM test tomorrow! Javy Lopez in the flesh >>> ICM test. So he signed my huge portrait of him, a baseball card for Katie (bc I'm an awesome sibling), AND I took a picture with him. I can die now. Just kidding. Really though, so exciting! He's a really nice guy, too. He took his time, talked to people, let everyone take pictures, whatever you wanted. I like that about him. I can't imagine how disappointed I would've been if he'd been an arrogant jerk about it. He wasn't though... super nice. Here are the pictures:

Me: "Can you try to have a real smile? You have the worst fake smile."
Matt: "What? No I don't. What do you want me to do?"
Me: "I don't know. Think of something funny."
Matt: "Here... Like this?"
[Picture taken.]
Me: "You look ridiculous."
Matt: "Eh.."
[This picture supports Katie's idea that Matt resembles Jon Gosselin.]

First sighting. First pitch.

Signing my picture. It's legit.

Ahhh!!!




I am such a lucky girl. Not just because I got to meet my favorite baseball player of all time, but because I have such a wonderful boyfriend that loves me, knows me, listens to me, and goes to great lengths to make me happy. Who could ask for more?

2 comments:

  1. What a great story! I grew up loving Javy too and didn't meet him until about a year and a half ago -- I had never had shaking hands upon meeting a celebrity before! :) Great pics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, love Javy and the Braves. And RTR!

    ReplyDelete