12.12.2011

Table re-do

A couple of months ago, I had this brilliant idea that I would paint our breakfast table. Then I realized how hard it was going to be to sand all of the little details, the chair backs, etc. Then my friend Alison told me about Annie Sloan's chalk paint. No, I did not paint my breakfast table black so that Matt and I could color on it if dinner conversation was lacking. That's chalkBOARD paint. Relax. This is chalk paint. You get it in boutique-style paint shops (I didn't know these existed prior to this project), and the beauty of this stuff is that it doesn't require sanding!

It sounded like a fabulous idea. I just didn't realize how big that table was or how obnoxious it would be to paint the spindle pieces that make up the chair backs. I also forgot how busy I am. Between rotations, interviews, and the need for sleep, let's just say it took a while. I finished it last night, and I'm pretty pumped about it. I don't think the pictures really do it justice though.

Let's start with the before pictures. Do you see why I wanted to paint the table? I'm not so much an oak fan, but it was free. This was Matt's grandparent's table. We have it more because it was sentimental than because it was free, though. I told Matt that I'm 100% positive that if Mamaw could see this table now, she'd be wondering why she didn't discover Chateau Grey chalk paint years ago.


Please note that there are lions in the chairs. I just don't even have anything to say about that.


Whatcha think? Please disregard Grayce's kennel.

 I painted it, waxed it, then put this dark wax on it that makes it look antiqued and distressed. The dark wax stays in the grooves of the wood. I like how it turned out!

And when I came home yesterday from Christmas shopping, this pretty orchid was in the kitchen. Chili was also in my crockpot. I have a fabulous husband, don't you think?


The table got a Christmas makeover, though.


I love poinsettias, but I have to put them where my dogs can't eat them. I mean, they don't usually eat plants, but I'm sure the second I put a poisonous one on the floor by the fireplace, The Big One will have it for a snack.

Anyway, I'm glad that the table is finally done. Matt's glad too because I wouldn't let him eat off of it for the past 2 months. (It wasn't waxed, so if you spilled anything, you couldn't wipe it off.) Time to retire the TV trays for a while! And by the way, mark my words--I will never paint another piece of furniture.

1 comment:

  1. It looks great! I want to come see your house - it looks so cute.

    My dogs would probably inhale a poinsettia too - but in my case it would be the Little One.

    ReplyDelete