5.11.2012

Early

The last 2 years have caused me to redefine my personal concept of the term "early." Before medical school (specifically before the 3rd and 4th years), "early" meant waking up before noon. Sometimes I hated my tough job as a lifeguard in high school because the pool opened at ten o'clock in the freaking morning. 

I've never been a morning person. My dad thinks it's funny that I chose a profession that requires being at work ridiculously early. My mama says I am the only child on the planet that would ask, "Can I sleep just five more minutes?" on Christmas mornings. In general, I don't like to speak to anyone for at least 30 minutes after I wake up.

Anyway, as I reluctantly dragged myself out of bed at 11:00 this morning (because medical school is OVER!!!), I was just thinking about how happy I am to wake up after the sun has come up for a month and a half. Do you ever watch the sunrise? It's beautiful. I probably could count on one hand (even if I was missing a finger or two) how many times I'd watched it before med school. It is now common scenery in my life. I'd like to say that I'd rather be enjoying it whilst sitting on my back porch with a cup of coffee, a blanket, and my husband, but let's be honest: if I was at home with enough time to hang out and drink coffee, I'd be asleep in my bed instead. So, medical school forces me against my will to see the sunrise everyday. It's a perk. A silver lining to having my alarm go off every morning at a time that I consider to still be night.

During my 30-minute commute to the hospital, the following thoughts usually cross my mind almost every morning:
1. If I could just sleep until 7:00, I'd be so happy...
2. Why on God's green earth do we live 30 minutes from the hospital???
3. I'm quitting school. Sleep > education.
4. If God wanted people to be awake, not to mention productive, at such an hour, He would make the sun rise earlier. This is unnatural.

Let us focus on #1. See that? I've found myself "just" wanting to sleep until 7. Four years ago, I'd have been irritated beyond belief if I had to wake up at 7. Now I long for it.

"Early"--redefined.

And cheers to sleeping late for the next month!

Totally unrelated picture:


No comments:

Post a Comment