10.27.2010

Afternoon Adventures, Part 1

I started this post while I was on my 2-week "independent study," i.e., my 2 week break. My break wasn't exactly geared toward productivity. I slept until almost noon more days than I should probably admit. I feel like I should be slightly ashamed of that, but it was the best dadgum thing that's happened to me since sliced bread. (As if I've ever known a world without sliced bread.)

I pretty much did nothing for 14 days. It was glorious.

By the time Matt got home everyday, boredom had usually begun to take hold. One lovely afternoon, I convinced him to go on a drive with me. I wanted to take pictures of something besides Oscar Bob and Grayce. I mean, I love them, but I need new subject matter. I'm really getting into this camera, if you haven't noticed.

So he drove toward Flora, looking for nothing in particular. I saw this group of horses, and I wanted to take pictures of them. I love horses. And cows. I really love cows. I've been telling Matt that I need to own a cow someday. I don't know what it is about them. I just want one. Can I have a cow for a pet? I don't see why not. I would just love to photograph it, pet it, milk it. I'm being serious.

Anyway, I wanted to photograph these horses. They're beautiful creatures. Majestic. Well, we pulled into this little cemetery that bordered the pasture about the time the horses all started trotting away from us, toward a truck. I guess they were about to be fed. So much for my horse photo op. Much to my surprise, Matt started wandering around this cemetery. [Matt does not do cemeteries.] It was small, and most of the graves were from the 1800s or very early 1900s, many of them Civil War veterans' graves. We spent the next hour reading interesting things on very large tombstones and taking pictures. Weird? Maybe. But I loved some of the pictures.






That is a little baby's headstone that I'm assuming was probably placed at the foot of a much younger, smaller version of this tree. Fast forward 130 years, and the tree and its roots have grown all around it. I just thought it was interesting to physically see how time had passed. It looked safe and protected in the embrace of the tree. I liked it. Matt thought it was creepy. Of course. 









To be continued.

1 comment:

  1. These pictures are amazing. Nothing creepy about a cemetery. Its life coming full circle... Some of my favorite pictures I've taken were for a project I had to do in a Sociology class called "Death and Dying". Our assignment was to go to a cemetery and photo graph and document the oldest head stones and try to see if there was a time period where a lot of people died. She wanted us to see if there was like an outbreak of yellow fever or the plague or war. It was one of the most interesting and entertaining projects I have ever done. SO all that to say... No I don't think you are weird and I think your pictures are amazing!

    And don't feel bad for sleeping until noon!

    ReplyDelete